Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Let's Be Friends

The other night Kim and I were able to hang out with some good friends for the first time in a long time. This was a time of dinner, bowling, and of course ice cream; nothing extra special, nothing extravagant, just friends having fun together.

For some of us, friends are something longed for but seldom found. Now I don’t mean that acquaintance at work or the lady at the grocery store who we like to talk to. I am talking about those people that you can be yourself with and not worry what they are thinking. These are the people that we are able to let our guards down and simply be together.

But being a friend can be a risky venture. Friendship requires vulnerability on both parts. It requires authenticity in good and bad times. Friendship also includes dependability as you partner together through thick and thin. When I think of some of the greatest friends in all of Scripture I come to the friendship of David and Jonathan. Our Scriptures tell us…

1 Samuel 18:1-4 (VOICE)
1 By the time David had finished speaking to Saul, Saul’s son Jonathan was bound to David in friendship, and Jonathan loved David as he loved himself. 2 Saul took David into his service on that day and would not let him return to his father’s home. 3 And Jonathan made a covenant with David because he loved him as he loved himself. 4 He took off the robe he wore and gave it to David, and also his armor, sword, bow, and belt, symbolically transferring to David his right to ascend the throne.

Then we add to this the words of Jesus to his disciples…
John 15:14-17 (VOICE)
14 You celebrate our friendship if you obey this command. 15 I don’t call you servants any longer; servants don’t know what the master is doing, but I have told you everything the Father has said to Me. I call you friends. 16 You did not choose Me. I chose you, and I orchestrated all of this so that you would be sent out and bear great and perpetual fruit. As you do this, anything you ask the Father in My name will be done. 17 This is My command to you: love one another.

So I encourage you to be purposeful in developing your friendships. Be vulnerable with each other and get to know one another without judgement, without preconceived opinions, just people coming together to form one body called friends. And in everything may God get the glory!

Blessings my Friends,


Pastor Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment